inc description elf inc description elf
A little elf tells me that not many manufacturers out there are making Elf Ears. The elf is sad and just when I thought she was going to cry, she says “make some elf ears for Smart Doll in soft vinyl and I won’t re-arrange your face.”
Having not much time to do anything else let alone having ones face re-arranged, I agreed to the deal - and here they are! The elf seems happy.
I wanted a way for the ears to stay put and be easy to attach so we employed the same over-the-ear-under-the-wig method that we used with our glasses. Smart Doll wigs over the past few years are quite a tight fit so they should stay in place. If they don’t, you may want to add a bit of blue-tac to keep them in place, but they should stay in place if you are using a Smart Doll wig. Check my Instagram to see how they are attached.
All these ears are hand crafted and there are 8 different molds meaning that we had to hand craft 4 left and 4 right - meaning that if you buy more than two pairs you should expect a high likelihood that they will be slightly different in shape - but you already have a Smart Doll so you already know all the nitty gritty that is involved with hand made products ;-)
In the product photos, you will see that the ear may not be a perfect fit out of the bag and thus will require some of your Elven skills. You can try to heat the elf ears in hot water or with a hairdryer, then mold the elf ear into the shape you want and then wait for it to cool down or run it under cold water.
REASONS NOT TO BUY
- The reason why the elf ears won't be a perfect fit is because all the heads are different shapes.
- Even after you attempt to heat and mold the ears into the shape you want to fit the side of the head, mileage will vary - you may still end up with a big gap that looks better or worse than the comparison photos below.
- I recommend that you place some of the wig hiding the gap to minimize any glaring gaps.
- Some folks mention that they feel the elf ears "float" in front of the actual ears instead of being attached. The elf ears are not designed to be a flush fit against the head.
- Do not burn any part of your body when handling hot water or a hairdryer.
- The ears are pointy - do not poke anybody's eyes with them.
- The ears could fall off if not attached properly.
- I recommend not having them attached while on the move as you could loose them if they fall off.
- While the ears do resemble a tasty snack, they are not edible and you should not attempt to eat them - splashing Tabasco sauce on them won’t help either.
- If the Smart Doll wig has become loose over time, you may need some blu-tac to keep the ears in place.
- These ears have been designed to work with Smart Doll girls n boys - we do not know whether they would fit other manufacturer dolls and strongly recommend against trying.
- If all the above sounds good then by all means give these ears a whirl. If you are not confident in your handcrafting skills then best to leave this product for others instead.